Major Medical coverage helps to offset the potentially high cost of unforeseen medical care for your covered horse. It will reimburse you for 80% of reasonable and customary fees for covered treatments and surgical procedures, including post-operative care expenses, which are required or necessary as a result of an accident, injury, illness or disease that first occurs during the policy period. Major Medical coverage is available for horses aged 30 days up to and including 20 years of age. Horses that are used or intended to be used for racing are not eligible.
Two coverage limits are available for horses with insured values of $15,000 or more. These coverages may be combined with any other medical or surgical coverage offered by Great American.
- $15,000 Annual Aggregate Limit
- $10,000 Annual Aggregate Limit
Major Medical Coverage is subject to a $500 deductible per claim. As long as the accident, injury, illness or disease first occurs and is reported during the policy period, covered treatments may be performed up to 120 days after the policy expiration date. Subject to the policy’s terms, conditions and exclusions, the Major Medical endorsement will also provide reimbursement for the following:
- Gastric ulcer medication and related treatment are cover for up to $2,500 (requires diagnostic endoscopy confirming of presence of gastric ulcers).
- Shockwave therapy is covered for up to $1,200 per each separate claim.
- Regenerative therapeutics (including IRAP, PRP and Stem Cell) are covered for up to $3,000 per each separate claim.
This coverage description is for general information only. Please refer to actual policy wordings for a full explanation of coverages.