Major Medical Expense coverage provides for the reimbursement of medical and surgical expenses of a licensed veterinarian associated with a covered animal. Reimbursement for these expenses must be as a result of an accident, injury, sickness or disease that first occurred or commenced and was reported to the carrier during the policy period. Major Medical Expense coverage is available for most horses between 30 days and 18 years of age.
A more limited Basic Medical Expense plan is also offered. This form is similar to the Major Medical Expense form, except that it excludes coverage for regenerative therapeutics. The $5,000 limit form is available for horses through age 20. Otherwise, the same eligibility limits apply as with the Major Medical Expense coverage option.
Four coverage limits are available.
- $5,000 Annual Aggregate Limit (Basic Medical Expense only).
- $7,500 Annual Aggregate Limit (Basic Medical Expense and Major Medical Expense).
- $10,000 Annual Aggregate Limit (Major Medical Expense).
- $15,000 Annual Aggregate Limit (Major Medical Expense).
The following coverage highlights apply.
- Major Medical Expense coverage is subject to a $300 deductible per claim. A $1,500 high deductible option is offered as an option in conjunction with the $10,000 limit.
- Covered services must be performed within 120 days following the date of the first treatment for that condition.
- Diagnostic Radiographs and ultrasounds are covered for up to 100%, and 50% for all other types of diagnostic medical imaging procedures
- Shock Wave Therapy, when used to treat a specific injury, is covered for up to 50% of the cost of the treatment.
- Regenerative therapeutics such as Stem Cell, PRP and IRAP are covered at up to 10% of the selected Major Medical Expense limit per covered animal, per policy period (excluded on the Basic Medical Expense form).
- The premium for this coverage is fully earned at inception.
This website provides an overview of The Hartford’s Animal Mortality coverages and services. Coverage availability and premium rates may differ by state. For a complete description of all coverages, terms and conditions, refer to the issued insurance policy. In the event of a conflict between this website and the issued policy, the terms, conditions and premium rates of the issued policy will prevail.